How is this the last weekend of August? This year is flying by. And, like I always ask, how has yet another week of pregnancy passed? At times, I’ve felt kind of narcissistic typing and sharing these updates each week, but honestly, if I didn’t do them, I wouldn’t know how far along I was. 33 weeks already! The last several weeks have truly been a blur, and typing up these posts really does keep me on track. Plus, I know that months after Baby M is born and I am (roughly) back to my pre-pregnancy body and learning the ropes of being a mother to an infant, I’ll be glad that I kept track of this journey.
This weekend is going to be full of things to do—including our first baby shower!—so let’s get right to the update.
What’s Baby M up to this week?
- Baby M weighs a little more than 4 pounds and measures just past the 17-inch mark. He’s about the size of a pineapple! (Oooh, pineapple…haven’t had any of that in a while.)
- His skeleton is hardening and he’s losing that wrinkled, alien look.
- The bones in his skull aren’t fused together yet, which will make it easier for him to fit through the birth canal; they won’t entirely fuse until early adulthood, so they can grow as his brain and other tissues expand during infancy/childhood.
How am I feeling this week?
I didn’t have time to weigh myself this week at the gym, but if I’m on the same track as before, then I’m probably at 27-28 pounds.
Should I just remove this from my list? I’m still trying to move around (I need to break out the pedometer to see how much I really do walk) but scheduled workouts just aren’t happening. I’m still going to barre (it’s my favorite!) and I’m trying to incorporate more yoga/stretching/pilates—even if it’s just for 15-20 minutes—into my evenings (Wednesday night I did a lower body barre workout). I want to try to get back into the swimming pool these last few weeks—even if I just float around and kick my legs a bit.
Much of the same: shorter/heavier breathing, lower back pain (not daily though), a bit of pelvic pressure and random shooting pain in pelvis (I’ve read this “crotch lightning” is completely normal—and probably just the baby hitting a nerve), occasional heartburn, and peeing every 3.7 minutes (or so it seems). I’ve not yet noticed any swelling, which is nice.
Nothing really. Sometimes I find myself not in the mood for real food, but I still end up eating whatever it is we cook.
Mexican (I’m so glad Mark suggested I pick up Moe’s Tuesday night!), sweets, and fruit. I’m still loving my chocolate and plain almond milk, which is odd, because I’ve never been a straight-up milk drinker. Ice cream, froyo, and snowballs are awesome right now (basically anything cold).
Ok for the most part. I wake up often feeling really uncomfortable (sore shoulder and hips and full bladder), but usually I fall back to sleep pretty quickly. Sunday night I had some wickedly vivid dreams involving vampires (thanks to watching the True Blood finale), so I felt drowsy Monday morning.
Still nothing (that I can see)
Wedding rings—on or off?
On and fitting well unless I’m warm; I’ve begun taking them off when I go to bed.
Belly button—in or out?
Mostly flat, but depending on Baby M’s position, it may stick out a little on the top.
Happy or moody?
Happy this week. I’m feeling good and blessed. My dad made it through his surgery just fine on Tuesday (although he’s still in a lot of pain), and it’s just been a nice week. No drama, no stress, nothing to complain or freak out about.
Of course, though I haven’t bought any more. I refuse to buy new things—which is why I’m going to practice a major fashion faux pas and wear my white skinny pants throughout September and well after Labor Day (it’s the South, where it’s perpetually summertime, and I only have 3 bottoms I can wear to work—sue me).
Nothing this week (our first shower is this Saturday and the other one is in a few weeks), unless you count the nightgowns and granny panties I got in preparation for “D-Day.”
Looking forward to:
- Our shower!
- The long weekend—gosh I need an extra day off!
- Hopefully some cooler weather in the near(ish) future?…
- Our birthing class (I’m so relieved we’ve worked that out! When the only class at our hospital was scheduled to finish just 1 week before my due date, we freaked out a little. There was no way to work us into another class, but the coordinator gave us the contact info for the former coordinator who’s actually a doula and does private Lamaze (& breastfeeding/newborn) classes. She’s more expensive, but honestly, the classes she offers are more in line with what I want anyway. We’re meeting for our first one next Thursday!)
Sleeping on my back/stomach, sushi (every time somebody posts a blog or instagram picture of their sushi, I cry a little inside), and my former energy/mobility/etc.
Best/Most Memorable Moments:
Well, a not-so-great moment was when I was visiting my dad in pre-op and the surgeon came in and told me, “you look like you’re about to burst.” I wanted to punch him, but I thought better of it since he had to slice into my dad shortly after. 33 weeks does not = about to burst!
The best moment this week, for sure, was getting our edited images back from the photographer (Emily Bass Photography)! Although a few of the pictures toward the end aren’t my favorites (you can tell I was sweaty and my hair just looks stringy and gross!), they turned out fantastic. Here are a few of my favorites.
There are a bunch more that I love, but I don’t want to make this post a giant photo dump!
I need to start tidying up the house for this weekend, so I’ll probably see you again Sunday (or maybe Monday) for some #WeeklyLinks. Hope everybody has a safe and wonderful Labor Day weekend!
Questions for moms & moms-to-be:
- I know I need to have my hospital bag packed around 35 or 36 weeks, but what should I really focus on doing during this next week or two?
- If you took any (instead of winging it), did you find your childbirth, newborn, and breastfeeding classes to be helpful and effective? What should I do to get the most out of them?